My Garden Transition & It's Minimal Flowers



Growing a garden takes full-time, like growing kids. In my tropical community, free-range chickens are my worst enemies, next to goats, then humans. There are laws that prohibit stray animals in streets and private properties, but then, again, this is the Philippines.
Chickens destroy plants, like - I won't mind eating fried chicken each time I see them destroy my garden. . And that's probably chicken for coffee accompaniment, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, & midnight snack.



The transition of my side garden... The zenia daisies fell from the container garden of my daughter, when super-typhoon Lawin, the strongest in my existence, landed in our area.

Nevertheless, despite the obstacles, I now am able to see my garden take shape, little by little. As I mentioned already, we have a lot of challenges, weather, neighborhood (neighbors burn gathered leaves near my plants!), and even invaders. Like this one: "Pusa-pusa" weed of my childhood invaded my garden. It's edible, when we were children.It was never commercialized (sold) elsewhere, so, I want to believe it remains a weed. :D Looks to me like the fruits have been "eaten" - I am just not sure if it was the birds. One major advantage of keeping a garden is the attraction of birds, and butterflies. I hate the chicken "birds", though.

Another considered invader is the "tomatillo" which we call "palpalitok", and which only purpose when we were kids, is to annoy fellow children by smacking one whole fruit (the fruit is covered by a paper-like lantern) on the forehead to make it pop, the louder the pop, the more successful your exploit was:

One of my recent favorites that is quite invasive in a certain kind of way - by spreading its spidery branches dangerously, is the bougainvillea, not all variety but this peach-pink double petal one.
Delinquent neighbors burned some of my plants! These pair is a cotton fruit and umbrella tree... only 2 of the victims...

Comments